IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is a globally recognized English Language exam, designed to assess the language ability of candidates who need to study or work where English is the language of communication.
Test takers can take IELTS in more than 140 countries and in over 1,000 locations. There are up to 48 test dates available per year. Each test centre offers tests up to four times a month depending on local demand. The Academic version is available on all 48 dates per year and the General Training version is available on 24 dates.
In India, a test taker can choose from the following cities for appearing in the IELTS exam:
• Ahmedabad • Amritsar • Anand • Baroda • Bengaluru • Bhatinda • Bhopal • Bhubaneshwar • Calicut
• Chandigarh • Chennai • Cochin • Coimbatore • Delhi • Delhi NCR (Gurgaon) • Delhi NCR (Noida) • Goa
• Guwahati • Hyderabad • Jaipur • Jalandhar • Kochi • Kolkata • Kottayam • Lucknow • Ludhiana • Madurai
• Magalore • Moga • Mumbai • Navi Mumbai • Patiala • Patna • Pune • Raipur • Rajkot • Ranchi • Rudrapur
• Siliguri • Surat • Thimphu (Bhutan) • Thiruvanathapuram • Thrissur • Trichy • Vijaywada • Vishakahapatnam
Earlier, there used to be a minimum time limit of 90 days before which a person was not allowed to retake the test. However this restriction has been withdrawn and currently there is no limit for applicants to retake the test.
The fee for the test depends upon various factors like the location of the test venue as well as the module you are taking the test for, i.e. Academic or General Training. For example, a test taker in New Delhi, India might pay INR 12,100 to take the same test for which a test taker in Berlin, Germany would pay 226 euros.
IELTS test fee in India is being revised from INR 12,100 to INR 12,650 for all dates effective from April 1, 2018 onwards.